Sunday, January 20, 2013

Leaving Oahu and flying to Kauai



our early morning flight out of Oahu

It wasn't hard to leave Oahu and all the tourist and traffic. 
 The beaches are most beautiful but......

I liked myself in kauai. Figure that one out.

 It is one big garden and you know how I love plants!
Kauai is the Garden Isle.
My first look at kauai

We flew Hawaiian airlines and it is only
a short flight so they hand out little sealed
cups of the most amazing fruit juice! 

We hit the ground running, no way to check into a resort until after
4:30pm so it was time to catch a few cell sites for reviews!

This island is so beautiful and no where on it are you more
than a short drive to the ocean.  
You can not drive around this island. 
 If you wish to see the Na Pali coast you must fly.
Not sure about hiking in but you'd be in for a hard hike!

We missed the Waimea canyon which I am sad about
but I have seen all the rest of the island and I loved it!


Heading over to Waimea and Kekaha and Mana

Our first cell site was in a very amazing resort.
This view is inside as you walk past the check in desk.
Most amazing!

 a few more steps takes you here.

Oh my!

I'm sure I could never afford to stay here but
for the moment I was there I could dream it!






See the baby geese...Well the mom & dad
were sure protective in a big way!





 The next site was at a grocery store so
I sat in the car and looked at a pretty garden
Look who lives in this garden....

want a closer look?

This snail looks like his ocean counterpart


There is such a mix of cultures here you can see it in 
the food and the building styles and the accents all over the island

it starts like this and goes to.......

This!

It's called the Spouting Horn

Here it is again at a different shutter speed

from this to...........




                                                                   This............


Another volcanic pipe sending up water
The one above had a very deep pipe and it was making
music with each gush of water.  If you just slow
way down and listen all kinds of interesting sounds happen.





Off to the next cell site beyond a youth camp in the mountains



Andrea oh yes let me introduce you
Our new GPS and it was brand new
had a lovely female voice and she 
was kinder than Jill, she trusted us
to make changes so we named her Andrea.

Andrea didn't have enough information to find
the site beyond the camp so we did the old fashion
map thing and found it easily




 This is a monopole..
Yes it's looking like a tree.  





 Which way would you go on this lovely red dirt road? 
I'm standing at the cell site location


a little Jurassic park ish

 Time for some food
off to town


 This was the most amazing Shave ice 
well my first but Amazing!
Our server was fun and helpful and Alicia gave
me the best hints for what to order.

I got a scoop of coconut pudding ice-cream on the bottom
shave ice 
Blood mix syrup (all the red fruits you can name)
Pineapple syrup
a snow topping of canned milk

Oh my it was a taste treat in every bite.
So glad we ate this instead of sandwiches....he he



 Time to check into our resort room

Much better! 
padding on the mattress,
room to turn around, clean bathroom
free safe, internet was expensive and valet
parking was the only choice. 

We kept a pile of ones in phi's pocket 
for all the fussy tipping! 





The beaches on Kauai are full of coconuts
and tons of little bits of plastic.
Stuff we throw away that grinds down into
little bits, it's frightening really to think of all 
our sea creatures living with this mess. 




 These were all taken on the beach within the resort




We ate dinner at a local cafe. 

 I had Ahi fish breaded in macadamia nuts yummy
and as every meal has macaroni salad served my
plate also had some of that on it!  
It came with dessert
that I'm sure the grandmother made. 

This was a family business and they were very nice. 
 Phil had his first miso soup there.

Next posting is our last full day on in the Islands.
SAD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day eight SEATTLE

SEATTLE Day Eight Looks like we came home to the smoke! My lungs were doing really good with the week away. My friends Carole,...