Saturday, May 16, 2009

nothing makes me sadder

<


Today we buried my last goat, Gracie. I keep looking out to the lean-to to see if she is standing there. I think I will do that for a long time. My upstairs bathroom has a window that looks out over the whole property and I loved looking to see where she was peacefully nibbling.





I love goats and they will keep a soft spot in my heart forever. Smart, clever, and such a sweet goat was Gracie. We don't know what she died of but it clearly seems possible it was age problems. She wasn't eating well all week so I began making a moist gruel. I added baking soda and a fresh mineral block. She still wasn't eating her hay and very little of the mash.




Gracie and I had some really nice time together this week sitting by each other, she wanted her neck rubbed and she seemed very under the weather. It was a surprise to find her dead but then that is always a surprise isn't it!



Our ever kind neighbors helped with what needed to be done. Everyone should own a backhoe don't you think? It was a beautiful sunny happy day and the contrast of feelings today were hard.



Just had to say how much I loved this goat! What really good times I've had back in the pasture with her. How nice it was that she thought I was her herd and always looked for me in the kitchen window, and kept her ears tuned to my voice. If I called out "Gracie" she'd look up and give that kind look she had. I will sure be missing her.


Bye Gracie


yes she always knew where the goodies were!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Day eight SEATTLE

SEATTLE Day Eight Looks like we came home to the smoke! My lungs were doing really good with the week away. My friends Carole,...